June 30, 2009

The first week...and then some.


It has been a bit over a week since Rudy and I landed in Columbus, and I still feel like I am still only in a transitional period. We have not truly settled down in Columbus. I have yet to go and check out all of the places I've read so much about. All of our things are in storage. And we are still staying in the basement of my grandparents lovely home.

Rudy and I have been looking at apartments all over Columbus. Mostly in the Short North, (the arts district), and the German Village. It has been hard not to become disheartened at the price of rent. All I can keep thinking is "who are these people who can afford to buy houses, and where on earth do they get all this money to decorate them so well." And I'm not talking Elle Decor decorating. Just simple, lovely homes. It feels as if we'll never get there. (I know full well that this is irrational, and that we are young, etc. But still!)

As I sit here writing, I'm looking out of my grandparent's wall of windows at nothing but green. No exaggeration, only green. And branches. Earlier there were so many goldfinches and cardinals. I think Gatsby might just break through the window with excitement over all the squirrels and chipmunks.


No comments:

Post a Comment